Sunday, July 13, 2014

Dear Scarlet -- From Uncle Josh

Scarlet,
 
I remember your birthday well, but before I start talking about your actual birthday I think I need to talk about the time leading up to your birthday. 
 
On a beautiful July day in 2009, your father and I were hiking in the mountains above Snowbird, Utah in Little Cottonwood Canyon.  He confided in me that he and your mom had been trying for quite some time to become pregnant.  Things weren't going particularly well with the baby making machinery but he didn't know quite why.  There was talk of everything from fertility drugs to adoption: anything to get a baby here! 
 
Your parents were dedicated to getting you here.  We all celebrated the day we found out that you were inside you mommy's tummy!  And better yet, you weren't alone!  There were two babies.  We were all so excited that you mom was pregnant with twins.  How cool!
 
A few months into the pregnancy, I got a phone call from your mom.  I remember the day so vividly.  I was walking down State Street in Murray, Utah about to go see some bands play with some friends.  When I answered the phone, your mother was in tears and informed me that your twin was sick.  She explained what the doctors knew and we both sobbed.  It was a terribly sad day.  But you were there, holding your brother in your arms and keeping him safe.  We all knew your were his guardian angel for the rest of the time you spent in the womb.  You did such an amazing job caring for and loving Kingston.  All we could do was wait for your due date.  
 
The months in between the day we learned that Kingston was sick and the day you were born are all a blur for me.  The time went quickly.  
 
The day you were born is crystal clear.  It approached with great anticipation.  I recall sitting in my office in South Jordan, Utah waiting for my phone to ring.  When it finally did, your Grandpa Dunn said you were here and you were beautiful.  He said Kinston was there too and if I wanted to meet him I'd have to hurry to the hospital.  I immediately left work and drove as quickly as I could Provo to meet you and Kingston.  I learned on my drive, somewhere around American Fork, that Kingston had passed away.  I wept the remainder of the drive.  Still, I was so excited to meet you.  
 
When I arrived at the hospital, I didn't get to come meet you immediately.  I had to wait until your mom or dad could come with me since you were in the NICU.  However, I did get to meet and hold your brother Kingston.  His angelic little body was still warm and he was so beautiful.  I had the distinct privilege to be present for his first and only bath.  I watched as your mom and dad gently bathed Kingston and loved him in every way they knew how.  It was such a beautiful time for your family as they celebrated the short life of your brother.  When he was finally dressed he looked like a little elf.  He was perfect.  
 
A few hours later I got the opportunity to meet you for the first time.  I was so excited and nervous.  I remember washing my hands, wiping off my phone, and sanitizing my hands a hundred times so I wouldn't bring any germs into your little bedside.  There you were, buried in a bundle of cables inside of a little bed with a heat lamp.  I had no idea if I could hold you so I kept reaching in your bed and touching you and holding your precious hand.  You were here and you were a miracle!  I could see the elation on the faces of your mom and dad.  Happiness poured from everyone in your presence.  
 
You were so little, so quiet and so perfect.  You were beautiful!  You still are beautiful!  
 
That day, our family became better.  Your birth and the birth and death of your brother brought taught us all so much about love, life and family.  We all became closer and that closeness and love has grown stronger everyday since then.  Your birthday is now one of my favorite days of the year. 
 
The last thing I want to tell you about that day is that although you weren't able to hold your dear brother and continue to be his guardian angel, he became your guardian angel that day.  He holds you and watches over you daily.  I remember thinking that as I looked down on you laying in your bed tangled in wires and monitors.  He was there with you.
 
I love you, Scarlet.  Thanks for making my life better.
 
Uncle Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment