Friday, August 1, 2014

Dear Scarlet -- From Grandma Carolyn

WELCOME SCARLET & KINGSTON!
I had no clue when Ashley and Ryan came to my house and said they had something they wanted to show me in the trunk of their car. They took me out and popped the trunk and there were two of something there. (Sorry I can’t remember exactly what they were). I am always a bit slow to get these pregnancy announcements but it was very exciting and thrilling to find out that they had finally become pregnant and were expecting twins after all of their hard work! It seemed like only a day or so after the excitement that we found out that the little boy, would probably not survive. However, we did have that great news that the little girl seemed to be a healthy baby. Hurrah! I found that I had to turn my thoughts around quickly. I now had to look at the whole picture and try not to mourn the loss of a grandson. Yes, we would lose him but only for a few moments. He will be one of the people waiting in Heaven to greet us. What a great spirit! With that thought in my mind I needed to rejoice and celebrate the granddaughter I would have. She would be the first child of my son Ryan and his wife Ashley. I was so lucky that they lived in my house until they were through school. It gave me the opportunity to get to know Ashley really well. I even got to know my son better—what a bonus! Time passes quickly and it came time to deliver the twins for health reasons. I remembered being called at work to rush over to the hospital for their delivery. As I was driving over I remembered I had asked my son, Ryan what would be the best scenario for him. He did not want Kingston’s suffering to be prolonged but he hoped that he would live long enough to greet and love him. He wanted to be able to give him a blessing and then let him go if Heavenly Father chose so. I was introduced first to Kingston because little Scarlet was getting setup in an incubator. I had the chance to hold him and whisper sweet grandmotherly things in his ear. I told him I was sorry that he wouldn’t be here to participate in my silly piñata parties and such, but that he was too valiant to stay here and be part of my triviality I would catch up to him later and we would have a grand ole time! Ryan gave him a beautiful blessing. The spirit was very heavy in the hospital room. It was heavy with love and heavy with great blessings of two wonderful parents and two wonderful and special little babies. I loved the name Scarlet and she was a beautiful little baby girl all hooked up to wires and such. I remember visiting the hospital a few times to see her. One time I was there when a group of young women were visiting the hospital and they asked to view one of the babies in the special care unit. The nurse called Ashley and asked permission to lift and show Scarlet through the window. The girls were very impressed and excited and Scarlet —well she wasn’t too happy. She squeezed up her face and flailed her legs and arms a bit in the air. Of course she was still hooked up to everything. I didn’t know you could bury a baby on top of another casket so I was excited when I found out that Kingston would have a place above Chad at the Mapleton cemetery. It was a beautiful day to celebrate the short visit we had with Kingston. Ashley and Ryan had a beautiful graveside service planned. Ashley gave me a great blessing that day. She let me read her sentiments and show some pictures about Kingston. I remember being totally impressed with her father’s letter. He played the role of Kingston in a letter from him to his parents and family. PRECIOUS! It put everything in perspective and helped us to remember God’s plan for each one of us. One of my favorite moments was when their friend sang “Over the Rainbow.” I have that song on my IPOD and when it comes on I play it over and over a few times and think of my little grandson in the bank! All of my family was there which reminded me how important it is to have family. I am very proud of my family. I am really proud of Ashley and Ryan and how they have persevered in this world and they have had many great achievements. (Of course, the most important ones at this time would be Kingston, Scarlet, & later Elliot!)

We have had lots a fun together over the last 4 years and I plan on having many more.

Grandma Hone Loves Scarlet! Remember grandma is good for many fun Christmas Piñata parties!

Look forward to a lot more fun Christmas presents!

I enjoyed visiting you in Rancho Cucamonga! Remember our Many walks with Bella and having fun at the playground!

You weren’t sure about riding the train at the shopping center.

But then you were BRAVE! “Hey this isn’t too bad grandma!”

Scarlet, you are a special child of our Heavenly Father. You were accompanied by a great brother and sent to earth to develop and grow. You not only have wonderful parents to help you, but you have a brother watching over you. They are all rooting for you to do your best. Hope you have a happy birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment